• February 7The hockey team will hold their senior night on Friday, February 22nd!

• February 7Boy's Basketball will hold their senior night on Thursday, February 14th!

• February 5Girl's Basketball will hold their senior night on Wednesday, February 20th!

Scythe by Neal Shusterman (Arc of Scythes)

Kayla Krupa, Book Review Editor

Scythe by Neal Shusterman is the first young adult novel in the Arc of Scythes series. Set in the future where there is no sickness, famine, or crime, death has mostly been bypassed, with the exception of Scythes. There is also an A.I. called the “Thunderhead” that rules over the world, controlling everything and watching everything, all while being the fairest it can be. There are Scythes in every region, who are supposed to pick people to glean, or kill, to control population. Honorable Scythes can take on apprentices for them to become new Scythes, but one H.S. took on two apprentices, Citra Terranova and Rowan Damisch. Following the two, the Scythedom has it’s trials and tribulations as they go through their training to become a Scythe.

This book is for the adventurous, and people who like a thrill. Citra, Rowan, and the Scythes go through momentous ups and down, always making you want to keep reading. This book could not have been written better, as it always leads you one way yet completely flips what actually happens, leaving your jaw on the ground in shock.

The Arc of Scythes series also has a second book out called Thunderhead, for when you finish Scythe and the cliffhanger has you running to the library. Thunderhead is just as action-packed and wild as Scythe, and it continues from right after the end of the first book.

The third and final book in the series, supposedly called The Toll, continues a few years after the wild story in Thunderhead, and is supposed to be out sometime in 2019. Both Scythe and Thunderhead can be found at the school library, but if they’re out, you could find them at your local library in town!

Overall, this is one of my all time favorite books. When you combine the masterful way the concept was executed with the brilliant way Shusterman leaves you on edge, I would recommend this to anyone.

About the Writer
Kayla Krupa, Book Review Editor

I’m a freshman at Ponaganset High School. In my free time my favorite thing to do is read books, specifically young adult fiction. If you don't see me...