10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Nolan Leite, Features Editior

PLANT SOMETHING

Trees not only cool things down (collectively, they can help decrease a city’s temperature by up to 10 degrees) but they also clean the air and give off more oxygen, among a ton of other benefits. Plant one in your family’s yard (if Mom or Dad need convincing, tell them that it’s been proven that trees can increase your property value by 15%). Another option is to plant your own fruits and veggies which will benefit your health and reduce the amount of fossil fuel emissions by not having to transport the food to stores.

page2image63199696

page2image63199248

BUY FROM A LOCAL FARMER’S MARKET

Besides supporting area businesses, you’ll also be helping the Earth by buying your fruits and veggies local. That’s because food in the grocery stores travels an average of 1,500 miles to get to you, and all that shipping can cause pollution plus an increase of fossil fuel consumption and carbon emissions. When you buy locally, it’s transported in shorter distances.

page3image63217760

ATTEND AN EVENT

There are tons of festivals, organized cleanups, and walks to participate in for observance of Earth Day. Some are happening over the weekend, too, so even if you’re in class on Friday, you’ll be able to attend. Check out earthday.org to find local events and invite your friends to join you!

page4image63222240

USE REFILLABLE WATER BOTTLES

Just because you’re tossing your plastic water bottles into the recycling bin doesn’t mean they’re not hurting the environment. Besides the fact that it takes over 1.5 million barrels of oil to manufacture all of those bottles each year, there are still over two million tons of water bottles that have ended up in U.S. landfills. Buy a reusable bottle, preferably one that has a filter attached to it, so you’ll be getting fresh water every time.

page5image63351856page6image36500800

GIVE UP CHEWING GUM

You might think that chewing gum is environmentally friendly, but it is actually made from a synthetic rubber, which is plastic. Around 100,000 tons of this plastic is thrown away every year, and a lot of it ends up on our streets. Next time you want minty-fresh breath, just brush your teeth rather than chewing on a piece of plastic.

page6image63371600

UNSUBSCRIBE FROM CATALOGS

The fact is that over 100 million trees are cut down each year to produce junk mail including catalogs. Plus they usually just end up in the trash anyway. Sign up for the free opt-out service at catalogchoice.org and they’ll help you get your name off the mailing lists for all those unwanted pieces of mail.

page7image63365664

RIDE YOUR BIKE

If you live close enough to your school, ditch the car and ride a bike. It not only reduces your carbon footprint but it’s also great for your body. And if you aren’t nearby or don’t have a bike, carpool or take public transportation. The fewer cars on the road mean less gas such as carbon dioxide in the air that can contribute to global warming.

page8image63315168

GIVE UP PLASTIC STRAWS

Plastic straws contribute greatly to the plastic waste in our oceans. The next time you go to a bar or restaurant, make sure say no to a straw, and even encourage them to stop using straws completely. If you have to use one, then buy an environmentally friendly one that is reusable. You can buy bamboo, metal, and glass straws online that you can wash and use rather than always buying plastic ones.

page9image63682112

BUY REUSABLE BAGS

It’s been estimated that Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year, and just the production alone for those requires about 12 million barrels of oil. Not to mention, they take up lots of space in landfills and cause major problems for marine wildlife. Instead, buy some super cute reusable bags to use when you go to the grocery store. You’ll not only be stylish but eco-friendly as well!

page10image63567648

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Feeling passionate about a certain environmental cause or piece of legislation that you believe should be passed? Write an email to your local representative to share your thoughts. Here’s how to find their contact info. You can also start or sign a petition for something you’d like to see changed. Go to change.org to get started.

page11image63554656
About the Writer
Nolan Leite, Features Editor

With his good looks and charming personality, Nolan Leite is quite possibly the coolest sophomore at Ponaganset High School. He is a full time musician,...

1 Comment

One Response to “10 Things to Do On Earth Day”

1. Beth Rutherford on April 22nd, 2019 4:23 am

I wanted to thank you for this list. I used it as a template to create a little poster for my exam rooms at work on Earth Day. Your generation is inheriting a mess, I know. Thank you for staying involved and interested to correct it. Bless Mother Earth. Kind Regards, Beth

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

The Marvelous Music Trip!

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

PHS Art Show

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

2020 RITBA Nominees and 2019 Winners

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

Cooking with Chieftains!

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

Valentine’s Day Tips!

• Arts and Entertainment

PHS Art Awards and Honorable Mentions

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

Tim O’Brien Student Reflection

• Arts and Entertainment

The Nolan Leite Experience takes on Tennessee!

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

Student Perspective on Tim O’Brien

• 10 Things to Do On Earth Day

Arts and Entertainment

Top 5 Apps of 2018

10 Things to Do On Earth Day