Teacher Feature – Mrs. Ciccone

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Feature – Mrs. Ciccone

Espanol. Translation

Espanol. Translation "Spanish". Open book with language hand drawn doodles and lettering. Education vector illustration.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Luka Alves

Mrs. Ciccone is a new Spanish teacher at Ponaganset High School. I have interviewed her to find out more about her transition to PHS.

How do you feel about teaching at PHS so far?

I love teaching at Ponaganset!  The school and grounds are beautiful and the administration and staff have been very welcoming.  My students are eager to learn and engage in all my activities-they even sing in class!

Did you work as a teacher prior to coming to PHS? 

I have been a teacher for 22 years.  I started teaching Italian at Cranston High School West immediately out of college.  I took some years off to stay at home with our three daughters; however, during this time, I taught part-time at URI and Passport to Languages, a language school in Warwick.  I went back to full-time at Western Hills Middle School for four years before I made the decision to change gears and finish my certification in Spanish. I went back to school as an adult which was challenging but so rewarding.  It reminded me what it is like to be a student again and I feel that it has made me a better teacher.

Why did you decide to start teaching at PHS? 

PHS offered  the unique opportunity to teach Spanish part-time in a block schedule. 

What do you hope your students take away from your class?  

I sincerely hope my students understand that learning a language is so much more than conjugating verbs!  I love to bring in the rich culture from Spanish speaking countries all around the world. This means we learn about food, art, tourism, history as well as sing some catchy songs which stick in students’ heads and pop up when they least expect them!   Language is about communication and I hope all my students are beginning to feel more comfortable every day communicating in Spanish. It is so rewarding to hear my students say they made guacamole at home from the recipe we studied in class or that they are planning on studying Spanish in college.  Learning another language is a journey and I’m fortunate to guide my students as they begin their journey! 

Is there anything else you’d like the students of PHS to know about you? 

I love to travel and learn. I studied abroad in Italy, Costa Rica and Spain and highly recommend my students take advantage of study abroad programs.