• December 6Movie Night 12/6/18 from 6-8

• November 28Early Release - December 10th - Schedule 5, 6, 3, 2

• November 28Parent Teacher Conferences - December 10th!

The Gongoliers- “We’re not just a club”

Lance Myers, Clubs & Activities Editor

“We’re not just a club.”

“The Gongoliers” want everyone to know that you don’t have to know anything about engineering or coding to join the team and be involved. Just bring yourself and your passions.

Team 5112, The Gongoliers

On the team, you’re never alone. You not only win together, but fail miserably united. Being part of the Gongoliers isn’t just about engineering, coding, and being a “genius”. It’s about pursuing passions for a group end goal. Whether you like photography, have a knack for code, enjoy engineering, or even designing things for the team, all are welcome.

2018-19 Team Goals

The overall goals this school year are to attend New England and World Championships. This process comes with hard times, fun, and definitely a lot of teamwork. Another goal is to have all members participating, and find new people to make great additions to the team.

Being a Gongolier

Again you’re not required to have any knowledge of how to build and code a highly functional robot. This being said, you do have to join a department of the following;

• Design
  • Media and Public Relations
  • Programming and Controls
  • Logistics and Safety
  • Outreach

Although they might sound confusing, it is assured that you will have a welcoming environment. This being said, you will also be able to find something you like to do in one of these departments. The only requirements of being on the team are staying after a minimum of two meetings a month.

A Student’s Viewpoint

Maggie Heaney is a sophomore here at Ponaganset, and has been on the FRC team since the 2017-18 school year. “Some friends that are on the robotics team had initially informed [her] about the team, and later guided [her] to the sign ups,” and from there she signed up for the team early last year. The members on the team are friendly towards each other, and enjoy the teamwork involved in joining the team after school. She has no trouble finding personal or academic help through the directors, presidents, or Mr. Coffey and Mr. Gongoleski.

Who are the mentors? G²

Mr. Greg Gongoleski

The 2018-19 school year will make Mr. Gongoleski’s twentieth year at Ponaganset. He teaches all of the pre-engineering classes. He went to Rhode Island College twice and has two bachelor degrees, one being in technology education. He also went to Providence College for Social Studies (Wow!)

Mr. Greg Coffey

This year, Mr. Coffey will be in his seventh year of teaching at Ponaganset. He went to school in Worcester and received his degree in aerospace engineering (Wow!). He attended Providence College to get his teaching degree and has knowledge of minor physics and even music. He firmly believes that the most important position on the team is Director of Food.

More Questions?

See: The Gongoliers Website

Mr. Gongoleski:[email protected] Mr. Coffey: [email protected]

About the Writer
Lance Myers, Clubs & Activities Editor

I’m a sophomore at Ponaganset. I’m in the media department of the school’s Robotics team and I rarely appear for GSA, but still consider myself a...